Frequently Asked Questions

Can the county surveyor find my lot lines?  The County Surveyor cannot survey for private parties.  He only does field work for county projects.  A list of private land surveyors can be found on the Survey Records of Jackson County page.

Doesn't every lot have to be surveyed?  A great number of parcels in Jackson County were created by written legal descriptions and not by field survey.  Therefore it is likely that there are no physical markers in the ground to show lot corners.  Surveys are now required for certain new land divisions as determined by municipal or county ordinance.

What marks the corner of my lot?  If your parcel has been surveyed, it is likely that the lot corners are marked with an iron rebar or metal pipe.  However, many other different objects have been used.  The drawing on your survey map should indicate the type of monument set.  Most often the monument will be set below the ground surface to help avoid disturbance.

What are the signs that state 'Warning Survey Marker Nearby'on them?  Small, rectangular yellow signs are placed on metal posts near ties to government section corners.  They are not marking the location of the corner itself, but are placed near the corner to preserve its location.  Please DO NOT disturb or remove these marker signs.  Removal or damage to a corner is a violation, which will be subject to $1,000.00 fine, citation and further ligitation.

Can my hand-held GPS unit locate my lot corners?  Land surveyors follow specific rules, regulations and use legal descriptions as well as known points for their work.  Coordinates and/or county parcel mapping data obtained in a GPS unit do not meet accuracy standards and are not be to used for surveying.

Why should a property survey be made? When should property be surveyed?  What will a property survey cost? Please visit the Wisconsin Society of Land Surveyors website.

Who can survey my property?  The Jackson County Surveyor Department has compiled a list of private land surveyors who are familiar with surveying in Jackson County and would be qualified to perform your survey.  The Surveyor List is for reference purposes only, and is neither an endorsement nor a recommendation of any firm or individual.

Where can I purchase a plat book?
Plat books are produced through the Jackson County UW-Extension Office as a 4-H fundraiser.  Books are available for purchase at the Jackson County Treasurer (715-284-0206) or UW- Extension Departments (715-284-4257).